Thursday, January 8, 2009

Decisions

Today was a day that was heartbreaking to say te least.
Here's the scoop:

This morning, Len was rubbing our dog, Ty, and felt a knot on is belly. He asked me to take him in to see our vet this afternoon. The vets ran lots of tests and found that Ty has 3 tumors on his chest. They did a needle aspiration on the worst one, and said it looked very bad...as in cancer.
Please keep in mind that my 2 precious children were sitting in that room with me and heard it all and that just last week, we all saw te movie Marley and Me.

It was not a pretty site as Mason was instantly upset and said, "it's gonna die just like Marley." I was trying to hold it together for him and had managed to do so quite well UNTIL I got in the car and called my mother to fill her in.

That is when I got the news that my Dad had just been involved in a serious wreck on the interstate. The lane he was in had come to a stop due to heavy rush hour traffic and a truck could not stop, thus hitting Dad and pushing him into 4 other cars. Praise God, he is okay, but that was enough to push me over the edge.

Len and I have thought long and hard about the dog and have decided to cancel his surgery and just see what happens over the next few days, weeks, etc. We are giving him pain pills and will let him drift into eternal sleep when it progresses.

It just sucks so much more when your children are old enough and smart enough to figure out wat is going on. Today was by far very bittersweet. It served as a reminder that we are all going to die one day and that it can strike at any time whether we want it to or not, and that we are so blessed that our Lord had His angels protecting my dear father today. Yes, it stinks, but what a lesson I ave been reminded of. Life is so short, so enjoy every moment and make lots of memories while you have time.

I haven't always been very fond of the dog, but I do love him very much and will miss him so much when the day comes to say goodbye. Until then you can bet that we are all going to give him that extra attention he deserves. Go give everyone that means anything to you a hug and let them know that they are special. You will never regret it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear that you had such a bad day! You know that you can call me anytime you need to talk. I will be there for you.

Maddie said...

I am so sorry! is he doing okay now? :(
God bless you and your family